Letter to my Future Kids

 

Well, the weather in the last 3days in Poland and some eastern Europe is still an unexpected bliss for many who have just dusted off their winter Boots and brought out their Jackets based on the seeming winter Cold of last 2weeks.

As usual, when the weather is warm and bright, the parks and beaches are smiling with the number of people coming to say hello “Cześć 😊. It is on such weather that love birds fly together and singles dream about love in their fantasy as they approach the seaside especially on seeing those who are gifted with roadside romance and cuddling.

However, the aim of this short write-up is not to discourage any of the above in anyway but to narrate an important lesson the author had encountered today. Day by day human beings learn and this learning is more intrinsic when one learns from his immediate environment.

As a lover of Polish Culture and tradition, I have a special interest in impacting in the environment I have found himself so also you too. Below is a conversation between a young child of 7 with his mother in Polish while I was taking a walk today:

Daughter: Mum why does he have a black skin? (Dlaczego on ma ciemną skórę)?

Mum: Stop!!! (Przestań)

It was so amazing and interesting how the mother was able to tell the daughter to stop probably to explain to her later. However, as I was going home I was greeted by similar incidence but this time, the parent acted like my Mum who would always correct you on spot and make reality come to your senses either by actions or speech. Well, corrections on spot could be embarrassing sometimes but some corrections may be good on spot especially when it involves the 3rd party.

Now, the Father said to the son;

Come and say hello to him:

Son: Tata why does he have a black skin? (Dlaczego on ma ciemną skórę)?

Father: Come and say Hello to him,

The baby unawares that I understand and speak a bit of Polish (at least am grateful to all my Polish friends who have never let me go a day without feeding me with materials and the rest) said to the Father On mowi Po Polsku He does speak Polish. In my usual fondness I responded to the smart, cute and Happy child, Jak się nazywasz? This he responded with all smiles and eagerness to continue playing with me.

Thence, as I was trying to prepare my lesson notes and watch my trainings, some thoughts dashed into my head; why not write this as a letter to your future kids? What if the mother had done the same like the father of the 2nd child? What if the mother had explained to a lovely innocent girl immediately that the world is made of mixed Cultures, race, colours, religion etc.

In responding to my critiques, I responded maybe the mother would explain later to the baby. But, like I earlier said, some corrections may be good on spot especially when it involves the 3rd party. Why on earth would one blame the baby for not knowing such colours exist? Man is an alien to his unknown reality. This calls for a deeper reassessment of the roles of parents in integrating their kids and teaching them that there is other race too, other colour too, other religion too and list goes on.

I therefore write to inform my future kids that there is also other race, other religion, other cultures, and many more complexities of life, and the beauty of the world lies in the peaceful correlation and interrelation of all these differences.✊💪

 



 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Yam Festival, A Cultural heritage of Ndi Igbo.

CAN I GO OUT ON POLISH INDEPENDENCE DAY AS A FOREIGNER?

Fat Thursday; A unique day for eating Special Doughnuts in Poland.